(age groups apply)
Greycoat Hospital School
Wednesdays from 17:30 to 19:00
Greycoat Hospital School
Saturdays from 13:30 to 16:30
Greycoat Hospital School
Cost: £290.00 per child, per term (sibling discounts apply).
Regular fencing sessions for children in central London.
Boys and girls aged 7 and above can learn fencing with us in central London (they fence together in mixed sessions).
Fully experienced coaches with DBS checks, all equipment provided.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
How the children's sessions are structured / term dates
Children's fencing sessions are structured on a termly basis, with fixed term dates, similar to the academic/school year. There are 3 different terms (each approximately 12-13 weeks) per year. We are always closed on UK public/bank holidays.
Strict age groups apply.
Roughly, the terms are:
- Mid-January to late-March (Spring term)
- Late-April to beginning of July (Summer term)
- Mid-September to mid-December (Autumn/Winter term).
Please refer to the Information sheet for parents for further information.
The children are split into 2 different age groups, with 2 training sessions per week (per age group).
• Children born in 2011 or after (boys and girls - mixed)
This age group fences on Monday evenings, from 5.30pm-7.00pm AND Saturday afternoons from 1.30pm-3.00pm.
• Children born in 2010 or before (boys and girls - mixed)
This age group trains on Wednesday evenings, from 5.30pm-7.00pm AND Saturday afternoons from 3.00pm-4.30pm.
More about children's fencing
Children learn how to hold a weapon, footwork, bladework, how to attack, how to defend, fencing tactics and international rules. All children take part in 'electric' fencing as soon as possible.
All of our coaches working with children have an up-to-date DBS disclosure, and the children are supervised at all times. We have dedicated coaches who supervise the children and offer advice on how to improve their performance. All of our coaches have attended sessions on first aid, and safeguarding and protecting children.
Parents and guardians are welcome to stay at the club, if they wish, and observe the sessions from the Gallery. All parents are excepted to abide by our Code of Conduct for Parents/Guardians and behave in an appropriate manner whilst at the club.
We also have a volunteer Club Welfare Officer, whose focus is to act as an alternative point of contact, should you have any concerns you wish to discuss in relation to child welfare.
Find out more and watch a session
You and your child are welcome to come along and watch a children's fencing session to see if they think they might enjoy it (no pre-booking required, just turn up to a relevant session – please check age groups and relevant dates first).
If your child would subsequently like to join the club, registration and the termly payment is then due immediately. All children must be fully registered for each term, for insurance purposes. No exceptions can be made.
Unless informed otherwise, all sessions will be run at Greycoat Hospital School, 97-98 Regency Street, London, SW1P 4GH.
Click here for a map.
Clothing and fencing kit
For the sessions, children simply need to wear comfortable sports clothing and trainers (shorts not allowed, legs must be covered).
All fencing equipment will be provided during the sessions. It is recommended that all children bring a small bottle of water with them to each session.
British Fencing membership
All children must now hold at least a 'Starter' membership of the British Fencing Association (BFA). You will need to arrange this yourself via the British Fencing website before the term begins.
You will be asked to provide the BFA registration number on your child’s registration form at the beginning of the term. This is a strict insurance requirement.
Fees and payment
• Fees are payable on a 'per term, per child' basis, no matter how many sessions attended.
• Payment (in full) is due no later than the start of term, by cash, cheque or direct bank transfer only.
• Cheques are payable to 'Central London Fencing Club'. Please write child(ren)'s name(s) on the back of the cheque.
• For each term, the cost per child is £290 per term. Sibling discounts apply for additional children from the same family.
• Fees are due in full at the start of each term. No exceptions can be made.
• As of September 2020, all children must now hold a valid British Fencing Association membership in order to participate.
• Parents/guardians are required to register their child with the BFA in advance of the beginning of term (at their own expense).
• Parents/guardians must provide their child's BFA valid membership number on registraton paperwork.
• From September 2020, BFA membership is a strict insurance requirement. BFA membership is typically renewed annually.
A strict maximum number of children in each age group applies, for safety reasons.
Should classes be full, a waiting list system will operate on a first-come, first-served basis.
Competitions for children
If your child is interested in taking part in fencing competitions, we can explain how to do this and, if suitable, a coach may be able to accompany them on some occasions (in addition to parents/guardians) to competitions, in order to encourage and advise them on their performance.
Parents/guardians that wish their children to enter fencing competitions will first need to register their child for a 'compete' membership with British Fencing (a small annual membership fee applies). This is a condition of entry for fencing competitions, for insurance purposes.
For any children taking part in fencing competitions, their own fencing kit is required (at your own expense).
Competing is not suitable for some children, and some prefer to take part just for fun. If you have any questions about fencing competitions, please speak to Jean-Christophe (Head Coach) in the first instance.
Even for children that aren't competing, we encourage all children to have a British Fencing 'recreational' membership as this helps to strenghten our governing body. Again, a small annual fee applies.
All children must hold a valid British Fencing Association membership in order to participate in fencing at the Club. This is a strict insurance requirement.
Friendly/informal competitions at the club
In addition to more formal externally-run competitions, we run a friendly/informal competition at the club on the last Saturday afternoon of each term for children.
These events help children to get more fencing ‘match’ experience, learn how to referee, learn how to run the scoring sheets (poules), and to have the opportunity to fencing with new opponents in a familiar environment.
How to register (& term dates)
• Complete the registration form (one form per child, per term).
• You will need to provide your child's BFA membership number on the form (see above).
• Complete your payment (by cash, cheque or bank transfer).
• Full termly payment is required at the start of each term. The fee is termly, regardless of how many sessions your child attends.
To find out more, please feel free to come to the club and have a look and an initial chat (during scheduled children’s fencing session times only). Click here for the venue.
Alternatively, you can email us with any questions you may have.